Monday, September 26, 2011

Creating my Facebook Business Profile


I have just finished creating a new Facebook profile and page for my business self. It was a great experience and I find myself surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. Starting out, I couldn't help feeling like I had no clue what I was doing or if it sounded too dry and at times too silly. I hope it is effective in providing some insight into what kind of employee I am, as well as a taste of my personality.

My classmate Mareli has posted an example of a realtor's Facebook Business profile on her blog, check it out to get an idea of where to start. Here is a screen shot of my new Facebook page, and here is the actual page on Facebook, let me know what you think!


The impact of Facebook in business and careers today is profound. Employees and Interviewees are changing their privacy settings to reveal next to nothing. People are getting fired for posting comments about their bosses on friend's walls, or for inappropriate photos taken on the weekend. Facebook is a great way for an employer to find out just what sort of person you are, or at the very least what sort of person you wish to be portrayed as. While creating my business profile, I considered this and made sure to portray myself in a professional manner, while letting some individuality shine through as well. Every word I typed, every page I "liked" and "favorited" on my business profile was thought about several times. I want my potential employer to see how devoted I am to my field of Nutrition, and also that I am a fun and outgoing person on top of that. 

My ultimate goal was to get the reader (potential employer) thinking "She sounds like an enthusiastic Nutrition Nut, but a competent, fast-learning and effective worker as well". I believe that having a positive attitude and great personality is just as important to an employer as are your work skills. Overall, making a business profile was a great experience. Every step I considered that this wasn't just another Facebook page, it could be setting me up for my future position. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your Facebook profile. I think it did a great job of showing off some personality. I think lots of times when people do things that are supposed to be more professional they lose their individuality.
    I think my favorite part of your page was the caution line that previous employers want you back. I thought that was a great way of showing that you're a good worker and would be an asset to a potential employer. I wish I had been that clever!
    From seeing your facebook profile I have a better understanding of how it can be used for business. I hadn't seen one yet that I really thought an employer would want to see. Good job!

    ReplyDelete